Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

This is the day: Dealing with Disappointment Part 2

My last post dealt with the reality of the feelings of disappointment and loss so many of us are experiencing right now. It also acknowledged that those feelings are natural, but that they should not be allowed to define our existence. No matter what is happening, we can still live in hope, knowing that God has good things still to come for us. There will always be something to praise Him for.

If you haven't read the post yet, click here.

Now, dealing Biblically with disappointment isn't a one-time-fix-all event. Satan loves to remind us of the things we have lost or missed out on, and if he can get our eyes fixed back on our disappointment, he can destroy the peace and joy God wants us to have.

Case in point: my planner. When looked at those squares full of all the things that were supposed to be going on this week, I couldn't help but be reminded of the enjoyable parts of the week I would be missing out on.

But then, I stopped pouting, took a breath, and realized that instead of bracing myself for another long day of teaching followed by a long night of  ministry and responsibilities, only to repeat the cycle the next day with even less sleep, I was in my kitchen, peacefully making myself a cup of coffee before sitting down to read a book. Yes, much has been cancelled, but I had to thank the Lord for changing my week from exhausting to restful.

Psalm 118:24 says:

"This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." 

This week, those first four words stood out to me like never before. This is the day. This one. This day, with all its changes from what I had expected it to be, this is the day God planned for me to live. Not that other day I had written out in my planner, but this one. I shouldn't be moping over the day that God allowed not to happen; I should instead be rejoicing in the day He has allowed. And do you know why?


Because He is good.

You might be getting tired of hearing me say that, but everywhere I look, whatever topic I write about, it always seems to boil down to this: we can trust Him, for He is good. It doesn't matter if we think He is being good, or whether we can see His hand working good things in our situation, He is still good. And if we can just get our eyes fixed on that truth, all fear, disappointment, loss, anger, grief, --all of it melts away when we choose to agree with the truth that God is good.

So, I choose to rejoice in today, thanking God for His goodness and trusting His plan. --After all,

"This is the day which the Lord hath made"

1 comment:

  1. He is good! We should never tire of hearing it, nor should we tire of praising Him for it! Great post!
    Mr. Dutton

    ReplyDelete