Pages

Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Book Review: In His Steps

In October, my book club read the novel In His Steps by Charles M. Sheldon. I had read it once when I was a teen, and I was surprised by just how much I had forgotten of the plot line.

This may be understandable, since the occasion of my first reading of the book was on a camping trip. It was my first time camping since almost before I could remember, and I was staying (for the first time) in my own tent. It was also November, and bitterly cold. 

Add to that the fact that the story around the campfire that night had been of the time my parents had inadvertently pitched their tent over a mousehole and felt the mice crawling under their sleeping bags all night, as well as the fact of my absolute terror of the small furry creatures, which was compounded by the further fact that several mice had boldly visited our fire while the fateful tale was told.

Needless to say, I wasn't going to sleep that night. 

A choir director had given me a copy of In His Steps one Christmas, and I had brought it with me, because, of course, a homeschooled teen never leaves home without a book. I read it in its entirety that night as a means of distraction as I waited for morning and light and the banishing of all imagined terrors of mice. I did rush through the last few chapters, however, which my surprise as I read it again years later, completely oblivious of the ending. 

And now for the actual book review: 

As a teen, I was captivated by the character of Rachel Winslow. Reading of her dedication of her voice to the Lord's service was the first time I had ever really thought about the impact one's music could have. I longed to have a voice like Rachel's that would still a rowdy mob and move their hearts so. I think at that point in my life, it was the power her voice gave her that I wanted, more than the ability to use that power for the Lord.

This time, I noticed all the characters, each having its own set of circumstances or dilemmas with which I could relate. It is interesting to me just how much more exciting this book was now, and I am certain it has to do with the fact that my relationship with God is much closer now than it was when I first read the book, which accounts for the growth in excitement over the thought of what God could do through a Christian who was fully committed to obeying Him. 

The scope of the influence of just one minister's decision not to do anything without first asking himself, "What would Jesus do if He were in my position?" is nothing less than astounding. Yet, for the Christian, such influence should hardly seem out of reach, because it is God's power doing the working and the Holy Spirit doing the influencing. For the submitted and obedient Christian, anything is possible! 

I end with my favorite quote from this encouraging novel: 

"No man can tell until he is moved by the Divine Spirit what he may do, or how he may change the current of a lifetime of fixed habits of thought and speech and action."

No comments:

Post a Comment