Pages

Friday, September 20, 2019

What's the Bible All About?

Today on my way home, I was listening to a podcast, and I was struck by a statement the speaker made. She pointed out that the Bible isn't actually about us, but about God.

She pointed out that we all too often go to God's Word looking for what it says about me, when our primary purpose should be to discover what it says about God.

You know when someone puts into words something you knew deep down, but hadn't ever verbalized?

Well, a couple years ago, I was in a dry spell spiritually. I was reading my Bible, and was even praying some, but it seemed as if my soul was numb and my heart asleep. I just couldn't get anything out of my reading, and even my favorite go-to passages didn't give me that "just read my Bible" feeling.

I knew it couldn't be a problem with God --after all, He is omnipresent and unchanging. I also knew that the answer wasn't to stop reading. I had listened to enough sermons to know that when I don't feel like reading, that is the time to read the most.

But just reading -even reading more- wasn't getting me anywhere.

I wanted to enjoy my Bible reading, and I wanted it to bring me back to that closeness I had with God, but somehow lost somewhere along the line. But how?

I finally decided to actively seek to learn what God was like. Around that time, I took a Bible doctrines class as one of my college classes, and when that was done, lo and behold, my Sunday school teacher began a series on the attributes of God. As I learned more about God's attributes and the implications of Who God really is, I began reading with an eye to what each passage said about God. I even did a study on the first time each name of God was used, and why that particular name was significant. My understanding of Who God was and how His character influenced His actions broadened my faith and helped me to internalize the importance of godly character.

But I'll be honest: the feeling I was looking for didn't return with any consistency until I began spending time in prayer before my Bible reading each day, asking God to quicken His Word and guide me into all truth. -After all, the Holy Spirit is really the key to understanding and internalizing Scripture.

But that year or so of reading and studying out of "duty" was not wasted. I have heard several speakers lately mention that Bible reading is like making deposits in a bank. Even when it seems dry, you're still building up your knowledge so that when the challenges come, you know where to turn.

For example, when I was having a particularly rough day this week, God reminded me of Romans 8:28, and I was able to remember that even that rough day was meant by God for my good and His glory. That changed my focus from self-pity to gratitude and a desire to look for what God was going to bring out of the day.

That's the amazing gift of the Holy Spirit: He is always there to bring comfort and help and conviction as needed --primarily by reminding us of what the Word of God says. The more we know, the more we can be reminded of, and the more we can focus on bringing glory to God through whatever circumstances we find ourselves in.

So, dear reader, if you're in a dry spell -keep at it! Remember that emotions are fleeting, and even when you feel that God is silent and distant, the reality of His presence and loving involvement in your life is never going to change. -And resolve to begin afresh to truly seek to know God through His Word, in prayerful dependence on His Spirit to lead the way.

"And ye shall seek Me, and find Me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart, And I will be found of you, saith the Lord..."
Jeremiah 29:13-14a

2 comments:

  1. Gwennie, your blog is insightful and challenging! The last several especially have been excellent. Please keep allowing the Lord to use you in this manner.
    Mr Dutton, 1 Corinthians 15:58

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mr. Dutton!! Your encouragement means a lot!

      Delete