Pages

Friday, November 8, 2019

Book Review: Singled Out for Him

So, I never thought myself a "start-a-book-club" sort of person... for one thing, I keep myself quite busy, and for another, the very thought of being out any later than necessary on any given day of the week makes me tired. But recently, the idea occurred that I now have several friends in similar stages of life as myself, and that a book club would not only give us excuses both to read and to spend time together, but that discussing a book we had all read would give us a natural opening for conversation. 

But what to read? I wanted us to read something that would be uplifting and would help us to embrace the season of singleness God had us each in. I had been listening to the Revive our Hearts podcast, and thought it might be good to look at some of their resources as a place to start. I ordered the little book (almost a pamphlet, really) Singled Out for Him, and a quick skimming of the table of contents and a page here and there convinced me that this was indeed the right book to begin our book club with.

What I appreciated the most about this book was the matter-of-fact, no-excuses teaching, but with a compassion that communicated that the writer really did know what single ladies go through. The whole focus of the book was that we need to view singleness as a gift from God, not necessarily in the way people usually think of having "the gift of singleness", but the same way we tend to view marriage as a gift. It is a state of life which God gives because He plans to use it for His glory. Singleness is a season both of opportunity and of responsibility.

-I don't want to say much more, lest I give the whole book away, but I will say that the four of us all agreed that the book was definitely worth reading and full of good, Biblical teaching that touched each of our lives in different ways. 

2 comments:

  1. Mr Dutton shared your card with me and even though I am not single, I would love to join your talk. I know very little of computers so I pray this gets to u. Love, mrs. Siemers is where can I get a copy of the little book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mrs. Siemers! The book is available through www.reviveourhearts.com which also has many other helpful books and resources.

      Delete