Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Bargain Hunting 101

During my reading time this week, I came across a list of bargain hunting tips I thought were quite good. The following are from Aged to Perfection: adding rustic charm to your modern home inside and out.

  • Visit destinations frequently --I have found this to be quite a major factor. As I have been making regular trips to the thrift stores near me, I have not only found that I am less likely to buy something before it goes on sale (saving me some money!), but also that I have a better sense of what a good deal actually is at the thrift stores. Also, many thrift stores put out new items daily, so if there is something specific you are looking for, frequency can improve your chances of success. 

  • Build relationships with stores and dealers: So far, I haven't really tried this one out. The idea is that as you go to thrift stores or antique dealers frequently, you can get to know them and build a relationship where they would be excited to call you up and let you know when they get just the right item in. At the thrift stores I go to, I can't quite see panning out, but who knows? --Right now, I'm pretty sure it's more like they see me walk in and think, "here's that crazy glassware lady that always uses up our newspaper supply". 

  • Travel further afield: There is much to be said for the grand adventure of buying trips. This is true with antique shops as well as thrift stores. People who live in different areas tend to have different things to donate or sell, so a trip to a shop in a different area can yield some surprising and refreshing results. For example: I recently went to an antique shop with my sister in Olympia, WA where I found some beautiful Spode pieces that I had never run across at the stores near where I live. 
Just a few tips for my fellow bargain-hunters. I hope they are helpful! 

Now, please post your bargain-hunting tips in the comments for the rest of us to learn from! 

No comments:

Post a Comment