Pages

Friday, May 10, 2019

Book Review- Southern Lady: Gracious Spaces







I always look forward to Tuesday afternoons. In the short two hours between teaching piano lessons and my evening activities at church, I grab a quick bite to eat, and then sit somewhere comfy with a good book. This is a habit I began when I was in the midst of the homework-every-spare-moment phase of college, but I grew to love the study time (particularly on warm days, sitting curled up in my car with the windows rolled down and a beautiful tree with sun-filled leaves to look at). 

Now that my college days are over, I have found the old routine quite relaxing, especially since I now get to study whatever I want, with no deadlines or grades to worry about! For example, right now I have been getting books from my local library about interior design, which is how I stumbled across the lovely little book Southern Lady: Gracious Spaces by Phyllis Hoffman.

 I had initially planned to scan quickly through the book, taking notes here or there as needed, but as I read the first few pages, I realized this was going to be a serious note-taking book. In fact, when I got to the back and saw all the helpful questions on the design worksheets, I decided to go online to Amazon.com and order myself a copy! (click here to find it!) 

In her opening remarks, the authoress points out that home should be a refuge where one can find rest and solitude. She encourages her readers to begin with what they love and gild the room with love, not just things. One of my favorite quotes from the book is "If you love something, wallpaper your life with it." When I read that, I was immediately caused to stop and think about the ways in which I was doing this as I have collected things for my eventual home, and it brought to mind some ideas of ways in which I could incorporate more of what I enjoy into my design schemes as I collect things now. 

Case in point: Staffordshire dogs... You know those often-creepy-but-classic china dogs that grace the fireplace mantles of so many English-style homes? Well, I think some of the homes I spent time in as a child must have had some, because I have always thought it would be nice to own some. I have always felt at home in English country-style rooms, and so with wallpapering one's life with what I love in mind, I saved a search on Staffordshire china dogs on eBay and I am currently waiting for just the right deal on just the right china dogs (of the non-creepy variety). 


Pair of Antique English Staffordshire Ceramic Dogs For Sale

 



But back to the book... 




There are many practical ideas and lots of good information for the beginner who knows nothing about organization or design, (i.e., people like me!) but the authoress does make a point to bring out the fact that beauty has a purpose in a home, and practicality and beauty need to walk hand-in-hand if a home is to be a place of refuge and rest. Let's face it, if a space is practical, but you hate everything in it, how restful can it be? 

Another topic the authoress touches on is hospitality. This is where I came across my other favorite quote from the book: "Opening our homes to others is a pleasure, and an opportunity to make another feel comforted and cared for." Seeing hospitality as a way to comfort and care for others really resonated with me. I'm a serving others sort of person... I secretly think I would have enjoyed waiting tables if teaching hadn't worked out... and to see hospitality as a way to serve down to the smallest details makes it much more of a priority to me. 

There is so much more in this book, but I want you all to have something to discover for yourselves when you read it, so I won't tell any more. :) I do heartily recommend the book as worth a read, though! 

No comments:

Post a Comment